From: Alan Cox [mailto:alan redhat com]
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 5:53 PM
To: Sankaran, Balasundaram
Cc: olpc-software redhat com
Subject: Re: [olpc-software] iSCSI initiator on OLTP

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:54:00AM +0530, Sankaran, Balasundaram wrote:
> I would like to know if having iSCSI initiator software would help in
> extending the storage capability of the OLTP ?
> Though the same objective can be achieved by NFS, iSCSI is more CPU
> efficient in providing access to the storage.
> I am imagining/assuming the school/community center would provide a
> common iSCSI target to which all the OLTP Laptops will connect to.

iSCSI shared storage means a cluster file system. NFS does not have that
problem. iSCSI also sucks in a large chunk of code and is complex while
NFS
is well understood. Linux also supports much more flexible transports
for
block disk access - notably nbd and ATAoE both of which are tiny in
comparison. I would expect the best results to come from NFS.