Re: [olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:35:05AM -0700, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> When the file is opened, OOM conditions in the kernel cause the kernel
> to send OOM messages that can be read from the file. Writes to the file
> of 'kill xyz' will result in xyz being killed.

OK, supposing file I/O doesn't allocate memory.

But still, I don't see what this gains over Jim's proposal of training
the window manager preload the OOM priority into the kernel well before
there is any danger of OOM.

It's hard to imagine a simpler solution.

--
Make April 15 just another day, visit http://fairtax.org