Re: [olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

You might try icons that have been painted by the child's paint tool. Then the child could add some.

To bring you up to date on what we've been doing with children the last 10 years or so, here are two white papers about Squeak Etoys that you can go to directly: http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_learning.pdf , http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf .

Cheers,

Alan

At 03:49 PM 3/17/2006, Robert Staudinger wrote:
On 3/15/06, Alan Kay <alan kay squeakland org> wrote:
> Just curious ...  why is a lot of real estate still being taken for
> non-content items?
>
> There are very likely more compact solutions that start out with everything
> being visible, but as the user learns can move to more subtle and smaller
> cues and access. Also, the chip set can do alpha blending, and we've
> experimented with using that to overlay some of the UI, etc.
>
> Good start ... I encourage you to continue with more and different
> experiments ...

Thanks for your kind words. Here is a second set of mockups with fewer
metaphors and more direct manipulation:
http://www.abisource.com/~rob/tmp/mockups-2.png
Would be great if you (and other interested people of course) could
give some feedback again.

Best,
Rob