Re: [olpc-software] age target?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:29:47AM -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
> >I don't recall Papert talking about software licensing in his books.
> >Furthermore, most of the software listed at the Logo Foundation is
> >proprietary.  Last time I checked, the software which isn't proprietary
> >is pretty poor.
> >
> >  http://el.media.mit.edu/Logo-foundation/
>
> When did Seymour write those books?

OK, good point.  The Children's Machine was published in 1993.  FSF was
pretty small back in 1993.

> I think most of this is 20 years out of date and moot wrt HDLT. There are a
> number of open source free LOGOs around, and an enormous number of books
> with LOGO projects in them, for learners from very early age through
> college computer science (Brian Harvey's books) and deep mathematics
> ("Turtle Geometry" by diSessa and Abelson).

Yah, ucblogo by Brian Harvey is pretty much the only decent unix
compatible open source implementation I could find a while back.
Dunno, maybe I'm missing more recent implementations.

In any case, Squeak looks like a great solution for this market segment.
As far as I'm concerned, smalltalk is just as good as logo.  Maybe
better.