Re: [olpc-software] age target?

On 3/21/06, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankar redhat com> wrote:
> Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > "better in the 3rd world"?  Ha! Here's an example. Do you know how they
> > are teaching multiplication in Maharashtra?  Children are expected to
> > memorize multiplication tables _in_sequence_ and recite them like a
> > song.  So:
> >
> > 1x1=1, 1x2=2, 1x3=3, 1x4=4, etc
> > 2x1=2, 2x2=4, 2x3=6, 2x4=8, etc
> >
> > What will probably happen with OLPC is that these teachers will devise
> > software to teach multiplcation _in_the_same_way_.  Farfetched?  You are
> > invited to watch a VCD I found which presents multiplication tables to
> > music.
> Surely you don't mean that the OLPC does not have the momentum to
> generate content which will allow the contents of the curricula to be
> taught in some other format. What normally happens is that learning
> projects which are computer based (I don't like to tag them as Computer
> Based Learning) generally tend to 'mimic' the regular MO of teaching in
> classroom.

I am not sure it is 'mimic'. It usually comes that the teacher has to
stay within the 'standardized' methods of XYZ country. If I remember
correctly an article from some years ago.. In some country that I
can't recall at the moment, the school inspector generals bicycle
around the country and do exams that both range on what the teacher
and students know. The students are basically supposed to reply to
rote questions like sing the multiplication table in this order, etc
etc. The teachers job standing is reflected by how well the students
can do these tasks. The article went on how a computer was turned off
after the first year because everything it taught wasn't on the exams
and so was not considered important. The school was able to finally
use it with a sound card that basically played the songs the students
were supposed to know.

There are multiple levels to the problem... and some of those problems
are not something that can be fixed quickly.. bureaucracy moves at its
own slow pace. The best thing is to make sure that the computers are
adaptable enough to meet the current needs and then move onto later