Re: HDLT (was Re: [olpc-software] age target?)

There's nothing official about HDLT. I just use it to simplify typing. "$100 laptop" says a lot of what the gadget is, but it's awkward to type.

One Laptop Per Child says something about the project (the uninteresting part), but nothing much about the HW, and nothing at all as to the educational aims of the project. (So OLPC is not a good abbreviation for the "$100 laptop".)

A title of a paper I wrote in 1972 is "A personal computer for children of all ages", which described a future notebook computer for children (called the Dynabook), says part of it, but not enough about the big goal. Another paper I wrote in 1972 "A dynamic medium for creative thought" says quite a bit more about what we've been working on over the years.

And it might be more like the one sentence summary you are looking for.

More directly, the project I think I've been working on since the late sixties could be called "Helping children to grow up thinking better than most adults do today".

That to me is the essence of my interest. The computer aspect is only a part (but an important part) of this endeavor. An analogy would be to helping children become better musicians. They already have an instrument in their voice, but there are many good reasons to include musical instruments as a critical part of becoming a better musician.

Cheers,

Alan

At 12:22 PM 3/26/2006, Alan Horkan wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Dean Johnson wrote:

> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:43:26 -0600
> From: Dean Johnson <dtj uberh4x0r org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: olpc-software redhat com
> Subject: Re: HDLT (was Re: [olpc-software] age target?)
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Jim Gettys wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:36:35 -0500
> >> From: Jim Gettys <jg laptop org>
> >> To: Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin pobox com>
> >> Cc: olpc-software redhat com
> >> Subject: Re: HDLT (was Re: [olpc-software] age target?)
> >>
> >> HDLT == Hundred Dollar Lap Top....
> >
> > Acronyms make the children cry.  Unnecessary jargon excludes people.
> > Please could some marketing genius come up with a catchy one or two word
> > phrase to describe this project, please!

> I nominate "One Laptop Per Child". ;-)

Unfortunately that phrase is too long and some people insist on shortenign
it to an indecipherable acronym and not pronouncable enough to stand alone
as a seperate word (like LASER, SCUBA, and RADAR all of which were
originally acronyms or abbreviations).  Perhaps some people are not able
to touch type, perhaps email software should be smarter and understand how
to expand acronyms and shorthand into full words.  Who knows? The
linguistic trickery employed by someone who really understands marketing
is no less impressive than coding a complex algorithm. I hope Mr. Kay will
reconsider his choice of trying to add another confusing acronym to mix.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan