Re: [olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 11:19 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
>  When I say "system components", I use a
> wider net than just the Linux kernel, but include the X server, Window
> manager, session manager, but not much else.  I'd like the base
> environment to be rock solid.

Hmm, this sounds a but like the 90's; Clearly you're forgetting

 - D-BUS
 - HAL
 - NetworkManager
 - Avahi
 - CUPS

just to name a few crucial "system" components of the Linux desktop de
jour. I'm not sure why you think the Window or Session Manager are so
important either, sure, we don't want to lose them, but, really X
applications can survive when these temporarily goes away - it just
doesn't look very pretty.

     David