Re: [olpc-software] Authentication, authorization, personalization/imprinting

I recently had my phone stolen. I reported the theft to Reliance. They
blocked the number. The thief contacted us and returned the phone
(without confessing guilt ;-).

It's a generic feature of GSM, but is easy to enforce because a phone is worthless without its network. A laptop isn't.

I like the idea of branding the childs face onto it. Much harder to sell on a laptop for profit if it's got a pic of the 15 year old owner on it.

Doing that so it can't be removed kind of clashes with the "must be able to modify the system" idea though, perhaps doing it at a low level (eg the bios splash) would work better.

Problem is then you need a photo of every child!