Re: [olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

Mike Hearn wrote:
Unless the Jabber protocol has changed a lot since I last worked with it (a few years ago), it's very much a client/server protocol and would be hard to adapt to a serverless environment (a Jabber server is a very heavy thing so I'm not sure electing them on the fly will work).

There is already a P2P chat protocol in use thanks to iChat, which works pretty well, and it seems Gaim implements it. Updating it to use Avahi rather than Howl would be a lot less work, and give most of the flexibility.

I haven't looked; is it well documented?

--Chris