[olpc-software] Authentication, authorization, personalization/imprinting

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 23:38:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:30:19PM -0600, Dean Johnson wrote:
> You also have to keep in mind that it is certainly possible that the
> laptops might be deployed into areas where things like privacy aren't as
> much at the forefront as they are in our culture(s). How much does
> privacy matter to someone whose house has no door or windows? Car alarms
> are fairly common (and important) in the western world, but the Amish
> probably don't consider them all that important.

I think you have two things confused

	Privacy is the notion of having a personal space and things
	Security is what you do when your society isn't capable of providing
		the former without it.

Read about how ITS ran and the culture there and it might make more sense
what the difference is. In polite bits of British society if I fold up a note
and put it under something so it doesn't unfold nobody will read it. If it
has a name on the outside that one person will read it.

In impolite British society I throw it in the safe.

The privacy and security are not related.