Re: [olpc-software] Servers

Michail Bletsas is expert at this, and explain much better than I can.

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 19:53 +0700, James Clark wrote:
> > > A related issue is networking.  In all but the smallest schools, I would
> > > envisage deploying some number of cheap, commodity access points and
> > > having them connected via wired ethernet.
> >
> > Most commodity access points don't work well with large numbers of
> > clients; their design center is a house with a few users. Identifying
> > pretty cheap, access points that don't have this problem would be good
> > to do.
>
> I talked to some people here in Thailand that make access points, and
> they reckoned on a maximum of about 30 users per access point.

And one per class room implies pulling cable to nearly every classroom;
I know that has been a big problem even in the school my own children
attend here in the Boston area, and a serious expense.

> > The laptops, even used as an access point, will function much better
> > than the typical cheap access points you buy in a store.
>
> How many users would you expect to handle with the laptop as an access
> point?  Is there any inherent hardware reason why the laptop should be
> able to handle more users or is it just a matter of most access point
> manufacturers not making an effort in this direction?  Access points are
> still quite a bit cheaper that the laptops and also have the advantage
> of including wired ethernet capability.

As I understand it, the cost margins are very low, so they cut
everywhere they can, and optimize for the home and small case.

I know Michail is looking around for much better than the typical access
points you buy in a computer store.

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child