[Open-scap] custom set of objects -> system characteristic

Peter Vrabec pvrabec at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 16:33:39 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I want to return to my discussion with David here. The discussion was about
evaluation of user defined sets of objects and creating system characteristic
from these results. This might essential functionality that we can't achieve
at this moment.

Why? Because we provide either
* very high level function oval_syschar_model_probe_objects() that evaluates
all objects one by one, so we can not choose which ones we are interested in.
* or very low level function oval_object_probe() that can evaluate single
objects. Sure we can call it on our favourite objects, but we can not create
system characteristic from these results.

What are the solutions? When I look at oval_syschar_model_probe_objects()
implementation, I see four functions that are not public:
1. oval_syschar_model_get_sysinfo
2. oval_syschar_new
3. oval_syschar_set_flag
4 .oval_syschar_model_add_syschar
Possible solution might be to have public wrappers for these. That's my first
idea, but I think there might be more options.

What would you suggest, David? :)

Peter.