[Open-scap] Checking directory existence using indirection

Marshall Miller mmiller at tresys.com
Wed Aug 4 20:35:51 UTC 2010

Hello,

We are trying to use the home_dir field of a password_object to check for the existence of home directories and we always get a result of unknown.  We also noticed that the same thing happens when the text field of a textfilecontent54_object is used in the same way.

When we noticed this we attempted to create a test that uses a constant_variable which is used to create a variable_object and the value field of that is used to populate a local_variable which is then used to create the file_object.  This does work correctly.

Running all of the above tests through ovaldi v5.6 produces the expected results.

I have attached a simplified example that checks for directory existence using all of the above methods.

The test which uses the password_object expects there to be a user named mmiller.

The test which uses the textfilecontent54_object expects there to be a file called /home/mmiller/p which contains a directory name.

The test using the constant_variable checks for the existence of /home/mmiller.

--
Marshall Miller
Tresys Technology