[Open-scap] Running example oval_probe against SCAP-RHEL5-OVAL

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 14:38:40 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 08:54:10 am Edward Sealing wrote:
> I was looking at the archives the other day and saw talk about running
> openscap as a service/daemon. Is this still part of the intention??

As a daemon it would be an attack point on the system and consume system
resources that it would not need to do. We settled on creating an application.
This way it can be run on-demand, wrapped into a cron job, and add an init
script that does a one-time scan similar to kudzu or readahead. The intent of
this application will be to take either OVAL or XCCDF content as input from
either a file or an URL. There is a rudimentary beginning to the app in the
current content, but its not complete. We will be working on it as the
libraries it depends on become stable.

-Steve