[Open-scap] Can OpenSCAP be used to automate hardening on Linux

S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore) senthilprabu.s at nsn.com
Mon Jul 26 12:56:02 UTC 2010

Hello All,
    First of all I am newbie to Linux and OpenSCAP, so please apologize for my ignorance as OpenSCAP is entirely new for me.

I am looking for a toolkit similar to Sun's JumpStart Architecture and Security Scripts (JASS) to harden the RHEL server. Early, I used this freeware JASS from Sun to harden and audit the harden resources on my Sun  server running with Solaris. Now, I am looking for similar tool on RHEL to automate the hardening procedure on RHEL. When I was going through Red hat reference on internet, I found OpenSCAP can be used for

1. Assist users with configuring IT systems.
2. Can be used to automate:
      - Configuring systems.
      - Verifying system hasn't changed.
      - Verifying a vulnerability.
      - Response to new threat.

So can I assume OpenSCAP can be used as the base for developing toolkit for hardening the Linux automatically (with out manually performing the steps)?. Did anyone tried something similar before. Any info/pointers will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Senthil Prabu.S