[Open-scap] Test Infrastructure Organization

Francisco Slavin fslavin at tresys.com
Tue May 10 15:24:00 UTC 2011

Hello,
I've begun using the 'make check' target to test OpenSCAP functionality on Solaris.  I have a few patches undergoing internal review & polish which should be submitted later this week.  The goal of these patches is to leverage existing autoconf/automake functionality to selectively test probes.  As it is, the ./configure --enable-probes-linux=no option will tell the automake build infrastructure not to compile Linux probes.  However, the test infrastructure doesn't currently leverage those configurations and continues trying to test all probes.  The patches I've put together address this within the tests/probes/ directory.

There is one particular test I'm not sure how to address cleanly, and I would appreciate some input.  The tests/API/probes/ directory contains a test_api_probes_xinetd test.  The xinetd probe is a unix probe, and therefore I would like this test to be conditional on the WANT_PROBES_UNIX AM_CONDITIONAL.  However, simply redoing Makefile.am organization is not sufficient to achieve this.  The test driver script, tests/API/probes/test_api_probes.sh, will try to run the xinetd test every time.

I'm not certain whether the xinetd test truly belongs in the tests/API/probes/ section or if it would fit better in the tests/probes/ section.  If it is supposed to live in the tests/API/probes section, what is the clean way to selectively run this test?  Should the driver script be split apart and should subdirectories be created so that automake can be used to handle this cleanly?  Or should the driver script perhaps do a check to figure out if the xinetd test was compiled and try to run the test based on that condition?

Thank you

-          Francisco Slavin