[Open-scap] Editing XCCDF/OVAL

Peter Vrabec pvrabec at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 21:47:59 UTC 2011

Hi Svan,

scap-workbench is a tool developed by us. It allows user to do the local scan,
"tailor"(adjust) XCCDF checklist profile and edit XCCDF content.

> Hi Sven,
>
> You might want to check out the SCAP Workbench
> (https://fedorahosted.org/scap-workbench/), the Recommendation Tracker
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/rectracker/),
rectracker is a new to me. It looks it use mysql. Good.

> and the eSCAPe editor
> (http://www.g2-inc.com/escape)?

What all these have in common is that they are all GUI tools. I'd like to
point you at this approach:

https://fedorahosted.org/scap-security-guide/

It's a combination of: Makefiles, XSLT, XML, SCC and GIT.
Please don't get scared now. It might look like a mess but it's not. ;)
Personally, I like it more then GUI approach.

* Version control system comes very handy in process of content development.
(Undo, Redo, History, ...)
* SCC gets you thru OVAL disadventages.
* XML for XCCDF is doable. You can also use XML editor.
* XSLT for html.
* Finally, Makefile to "build" it a all.

Please take a look and I'll be glad if you share your opinion with us.

Peter.