[Open-scap] Discrepancy in STIG compliance results between oval and xccdf scans

Peter Vrabec pvrabec at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 08:38:01 UTC 2012

Hi Simon,

sorry but I don't understand your approach with:

# oscap xccdf eval --profile MAC-3_Sensitive --results xccdf_out.xml
U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml com.redhat.rhsa-all.xml

What is intention of combining U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml
and com.redhat.rhsa-all.xml?

--------

If you want to eval any xccdf.xml the simplest way how to achieve that is

# oscap xccdf eval --profile MAC-3_Sensitive --results xccdf_out.xml
U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml

oval files referenced from U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml are
searched in U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml path. If you want
to pass oval files from different directory you can do this:

# oscap xccdf eval --profile MAC-3_Sensitive --results xccdf_out.xml
U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml
custom/U_RedHat_5_V1R0.6_STIG_Benchmark-oval.xml

------

# oscap oval eval --results oval-results.xml
U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-oval.xml com.redhat.rhsa-all.xml

This usage of oscap tool won't evalaute com.redhat.rhsa-all.xml because
"eval" operation accepts only one oval file as input.

-----

I hope I helped a bit. Please don't hesitate to blame man page,
documentation. We want to improve this stuff if it's not useful/clear
for users.

Peter.