[Open-scap] [OPEN-SCAP-LIST] I'm trying to execute open-scap on solaris

Haynes, Dan dhaynes at mitre.org
Tue Aug 6 13:17:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

The errors that you are seeing are validation errors indicating that the values specified for the particular entities (user_id and group_id) are not valid.  This is because they are expecting a datatype of “int” and integer values.

The reason for this discrepancy is that in OVAL 5.8, we changed the user_id and group_id entities (along with many others) to be of datatype “int” rather than datatype “string” to better align the datatype and operations (equals, greater than, less than, etc.) with the values found on the system which are just integer values.  However, in doing so, we broke backward compatibility with previous versions of OVAL (http://oval.mitre.org/language/about/backwardcompatibility.html).  I suspect that the STIG content was written for a version before 5.8, but, OpenSCAP is validating the content against 5.10.

Actually, there was a similar oval-developer-list thread about this last year (http://making-security-measurable.1364806.n2.nabble.com/Error-validating-STIG-content-against-OVAL-schemas-tp7579295.html).

To get the content to work, you will need to either use a tool that supports the OVAL 5.4 content or update the content to align with the new schemas.  For the errors that say “attribute ‘datatype’: the value ‘string’ does not match the fixed value constraint ‘int’.”, if there is an integer value present in the content, you will just need to add datatype=”int” to the entity.  For the errors that say “‘some_regex_pattern’ is not a valid value of the local union type.”, you would need to rewrite the entity to check for the same values, but, using integer values and operations.  For example, you could rewrite:

   <group_id datatype=”string” operation=”pattern match”>^(0|2|3)$</group_id> which checks to see if the value is set to 0, 2, or 3

as:

   <group_id datatype=”int” operation=”equals” var_ref=”oval:sample:var:1” var_check=”only one”/>

   …
  <constant_variable id=”oval:sample:var:1” datatype=”int” …>
    <value>0</value>
    <value>2</value>
    <value>3</value>
 </constant_variable>