[Open-scap] Need help understanding RHEL STIG findings

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 17:58:16 UTC 2013

On 1/30/13 11:38 AM, Snyder, Chris wrote:

> I'm trying to understand my findings from applying the latest RHEL5
> STIG Benchmark against one of my RHEL5 hosts.  The results appear to
> indicate some false positives and I don't know how to determine if
> that is indeed the case or not.  Ultimately, I would love to gain more
> insight into how to determine what tests are being performed by
> openscap for a given STIG/XCCDF/OVAL item or at least how to find out
> the results of the tests being run, i.e. I want to understand WHY
> openscap is reporting these items as failed.

To make things a bit more consumable you can utilize OpenSCAP's
"generate guide," turning the STIG into something that is actually readable:

$ oscap xccdf generate guide \
/tmp/U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml \
 > /tmp/U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark.html

Pull up /tmp/U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark.html in your favorite
browser and look around.

When you run a scan you can have OpenSCAP generate an HTML report which
gives more details around failures:

$ sudo sh -c "oscap xccdf eval --profile MAC-1_Public \
--results stig-xccdf-results.xml \
--report /tmp/`hostname`-stigscanresults.html \
--oval-results \
--cpe-dict /tmp/U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-cpe-dictionary.xml \
/tmp/U_RedHat_5-V1R1_STIG_Benchmark-xccdf.xml"

View /tmp/`hostname`-stigscanresults.html in your browser and click on
some of the failed items. Many give you details under the "Remediation
Script" section.

Here is my report against a generic RHEL 5.8 install, for example:
https://blog-shawndwells.rhcloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/stigscanresults-beforeaqueduct.html

Here is the process that I use for STIGing a RHEL5 box, using
OpenSCAP+Aqueduct:
https://blog-shawndwells.rhcloud.com/2012/10/how-to-stig-a-red-hat-enterprise-linux-rhel5-machine/