[Open-scap] Building on Windows

Daniel Kopecek dkopecek at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 09:55:20 UTC 2013

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 08:42:54 -0500
Chris Grahlmann <Chris.Grahlmann at ultra-ats.com> wrote:

> Simon,
> Thanks for the info. I grabbed an old version and it gets past the
> probes but fails and puts me in header file hell. I googled around
> and see that other people are having the same issue. I'll see if I
> can resolve it.

I'm currently working on a portable branch of the OpenSCAP sources.
I've reintroduced the --disable-probes option. You might want to give
it a try instead of working with an older revision of the sources.

We have an easy to setup cross-compilation environment on Fedora and
I'm using that to compile OpenSCAP for Windows. Here's the recipe:

1) Install the cross-compiler & dependencies

  # yum install mingw32-gcc mingw32-binutils mingw32-libxml2 \
  mingw32-libgcrypt mingw32-pthreads mingw32-libxslt \
  mingw32-curl mingw32-pcre \
  automake autoconf libtool

2. Checkout the portable branch of the OpenSCAP repository

  $ git clone -b portable git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/openscap.git \
  openscap-portable.git
  $ cd openscap-portable.git/

3. Prepare the build

  $ ./autogen.sh
  $ mingw32-configure --disable-probes --disable-python

4. Build!

  $ make -k 2> build-errors.log

5. Inspect build-errors.log for problems

  $ grep -E '(error:|implicit)' build-errors.log
oscap_acquire.c:32:17: fatal error: ftw.h: No such file or directory
rbt_i32.c:36:9: warning: implicit declaration of function 'posix_memalign'
rbt_i64.c:35:9: warning: implicit declaration of function 'posix_memalign'
rbt_str.c:39:9: warning: implicit declaration of function 'posix_memalign'
tailoring.c:200:2: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strverscmp'
oscap-tool.c:37:17: fatal error: ftw.h: No such file or directory
oscap-oval.c:37:17: fatal error: ftw.h: No such file or directory
oscap-info.c:37:26: fatal error: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory

So this is basically the list of current problems. If we fix them, then
OpenSCAP will compile on Windows (without probes). I'm working on a
patch to replace the posix_memalign call on win32 platforms.

Any ideas for replacing the ftw.h API on Windows?

Dan K.