[Open-scap] First ever DevOpsDaysDC June 11, 12 - OpenSCAP should present! CFP deadline 4/15

Greg Elin gregelin at gitmachines.com
Thu Apr 16 02:53:34 UTC 2015

I submitted a proposal for Shawn, Fen, and myself:

Consumer to Collaborator: Re-imaging the US Governments role in Open Source

Government agencies are often hesitant to use open source tools out of
concerns of security and compliance issues. This hesitancy to use open
source deprives many government agencies from closely collaborating with
others to create software that is finely tuned and widely available to
scratch its own itch. The five-year old OpenSCAP community is helping to
change that and re-imagining the US Governments role in open source through
its NIST-Certified SCAP 1.2 scanning software and growing body of open
source licensed SCAP content. By the OpenSCAP suite scanning and
configuration management tools, government agencies looking to become high
velocity organizations can automate the cumbersome process certifying a
server has been properly hardened for production and begin to develop
community resources for hardening of other popular open source tools. The
OpenSCAP community is actively developing suite of software tools to make
continuous monitoring in agile environments easier, especially for
developers, who often do not realize they could be scanning their systems
more collaboratively with Ops. OpenSCAP is not merely a secure piece of
open source software, it is software that helps demonstrate security and
compliance. The SCAP-Security-Guide Project is the only source of official
configuration management SCAP and hardening content for Linux that is
licensed open source and also directly reviewed by official government
agencies. Initially started (and still significantly funded) by Red Hat,
the OpenSCAP project has recently moved it's repository from the the Fedora
Project to GitHub and has seen an increase in the pace of development.

Greg