[OS:N:] RE: N:] FYI: Rep. David Wu on open source

As additional information that our representatives should be following (and
others.)

Check out non award RFP of interest:
http://www.disa.mil/pao/opensource.html

It discusses how the DoD finds the GPL more useful than the MIT_EULA
(Mobile Internet Toolkit EULA.) -- > >
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/eula_mit.htm)
NOTE:
> This page returns 404 for many browsers or the page was pulled (I
couldn't find it in I.E. 5.5 either.) someone said it did work fine in
Konqeror. Doesn't seem to work in IE 5.0 or Mozilla 1.01 on Win2k.

In general laymen terms:
(an quick synopsis/interpretation of the "DoD Q&A on Use of Open Source
Software"):
We're the US Government. Software we develop, is in some sense "owned" by
the people - the taxpayers. e.g. DARPA and the NCSA web server. The MMIT
license prevents us from 1) letting anyone else *see* our source code, 2)
letting anyone else *use* our source code, or 3) *give* anyone else our
source code.

In that sense it "captures" or binds you to specific terms and/or actions.
 The GPL does too, in that if you use GPL code, then if you distribute
binaries or code you derive from the GPL code, you must give the source
code also.

What they're saying is that meeting the GPL conditions is a minor issue,
compared to the problems with meeting the MMIT license conditions.

Happy reading!

--christine