Re: [OS:N:] Re: Linus in schools (cont'd)

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 09:54, ekunin wrote:
> Someone remarked (off list) that competition and cooperation are not
> mutually exclusive. If the words are used with their traditional meanings,
> cooperative-competition is an oxymoron. Two people, the smallest group, can
> either contribute to a common goal or one can attempt to prove himself
> better than the other at whatever it is they are doing.

The world has changed since the traditional meanings. You can absolutely
have cooperative competition. Take for example an Olympic track and
field team. Each competitor is trying to beat one another as well as the
other teams and individuals in the race. There are events where
individual performance leads not only to personal achievement, but to
achievement for the team in the form of a team medal.

Another example at Red Hat are in partnerships that we also compete with
for business. We have publicly known relationships with vendors like
IBM. Sometimes they win a contract, sometimes we do, sometimes we win
together. In all three cases, Linux and OpenSource win.

In the American economy, you have competition among companies who
cooperate on initiatives like globalized standards, who partner and part
ways and partner again (ie AOL/MS v. AOL/TimeWarner/MSN/.Net). On one
level they partner to promote one another, on another they are trying to
fend each other off an emerging market.

Last example is regarding Linux itself. You assume that because there
are multiple distributions that they are ultimately incompatible. This
is wrong. You can be compliant/standardized at many levels, while still
giving the distribution a unique advantage or value add. If one distro
is easier to adapt to the needs of education, or one vendor chooses to
lead they way, natural law will determine its fate.

Linux itself is an example of cooperative-competition, in that our
engineers work for Red Hat, and Conectiva for Conectiva, but at the
upstream kernel level, at the community level, they all work together.
For example we coordinate security releases with other vendors, rather
than release and accuse others of being unsecure, if we right a nice bit
of code, the other vendors get it.

Raise the level of the ocean and all ships rise together.