Re: [OS:N:] Re: Linux in schools (cont'd)

Ed,

When I said freedom I meant:

Free is about more than the cost of the software.  Free is about
freedom.  The right of an individual to use, share, and change the
software that they chose to use.

This is not my idea.  It is the founding concept of the entire open
source movement.

This means not only should people not have to pay for the honor of using
the software (software and services are different things mind you) but
it means that people should have the right to make changes to the
software they use.  Whether that change is with something like the
background of a screen or with the window manager that is being used.

By saying 'you must use X' you are in taking away that right.  This
causes less creativity and imagination of those people that are making
products.

The people doing most of the development of Linux at this point are not
even working on the core OS.  They are working on thousands of little
projects that make the core OS a better choice for the end user.

Red Hat, Debian, SuSe, etc...all are just taking a bunch of these
products putting them under one name and distributing them.

For a long time Red Hat liked gnome and not KDE.  Now they have both on
basicly equal footing.  Where would we be though if Red Hat had been the
standard and the KDE project was never used by anyone because it wasn't
the standard?  What about those people that have older computers because
they can't afford a new one?  They can't use Linux at all because they
can't keep up with the newest version of the GUI?

Freedom is about more than just tweaking.  It's about more than no
cost.  It's about our rights to do what we want, when we want, for
whatever reason we want.

You are suggesting that we step on that right for the sake of gaining
market share.  Thank god you don't have the power to make that decision.

How would you like to go out to eat every day and get only the option of
eating at McDonalds and you can only have a Quarter Pounder with Cheese,
Fries, and a Coke, forever.

No thanks.

The fact that Linux still only has 5% of the desktop market is not
because it doesn't have focus.  Instead it is proof that people don't
like to make decisions and are too lazy/scared to try something new.

Everyday Linux gets better.  Windoze gets better when Gates decides he
needs another money injection.

It won't take long until Linux is the champion of the desktop.

Chris