Re: [OS:N:] Re: Linux in schools (cont'd)

On 9 Jan 2003, Brent Fox wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 18:53, Chris Spencer wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > The fact that Linux still only has 5% of the desktop market is not
> > because it doesn't have focus.  Instead it is proof that people don't
> > like to make decisions and are too lazy/scared to try something new.
>
> Rather, I think it's indicative of the enormous number of people using
> Windows and the inertia associated with that.  It takes time to unseat a
> monopoly of that size.  I wonder what the approximate number of Windows
> installations is worldwide.  It must be over 150 million...probably way
> over that.  You can't change that overnight no matter how good Linux
> is.  I would be willing to bet that the majority of Windows users still
> have not heard of Linux or at best only have a vague idea of what it
> is.
>
> So we have to keep improving Linux and continue making people aware that
> there are alternatives to Windows.  Most people are quite willing to try
> something new if you can show them how they will benefit.  For example,
> look at how the number of users connected to the Internet has mushroomed
> in the last seven years or so.  The benefits to being connected were so
> obvious that people were more than willing to learn something new.
>
> Cheers,
>    Brent

It took the introduction of the WWW for people to make that leap, years
after the Internet was born. I remember explaining in very excited words
how great the Internet was to my mother in 1988. I knew it would change
the world eventually. She didn't "get it". Now she does of course. It
took the introduction of the WWW (ie. the easier interface) for the
common man to make that leap... in what... 1993-1995?

We have to make the benefits to moving to Linux "so obvious". Right now
it isn't "so obvious". MS and Apple products are "good enough" in most
people's minds.

We're getting there. Who knows, maybe we'll just continue to creep into
everyone's desktop. Someday someone may say... "I can't really remember
when I started using this Linux stuff." *shrug*