Re: [OS:N:] Re: Linux in schools (cont'd)

On Thursday 09 January 2003 16:15, Todd Warner wrote:
> We're getting there. Who knows, maybe we'll just continue to creep into
> everyone's desktop. Someday someone may say... "I can't really remember
> when I started using this Linux stuff." *shrug*

It's going to be like Harry Potter... all word of mouth.  With the economy
going south, people are going to not just hear but *register* what their
friends and coworkers are saying about this OS that's free, secure, etc.,
etc.  Personally, I don't care if they get hooked on Linux or BSD.  Or even
if it just starts with a couple small companies switching to OpenOffice
because of its license.

The public will have to get over decades of the corporate-driven erosion of
choice (i.e., what happened to Heinz's 56 other varieties anyway?), but once
they realize -- nay, remember -- that choice is *good*, then it all hits
critical mass.

Of course, getting game & driver manufacturers on board won't hurt any!  :)

Daniel.

--
"Bash forehead on any key to continue..."
t-shirts still available for $15

"Success doesn't compile itself and arrive as a binary pre-packaged for your
OS on a free CD that's been mailed to you by God.  Unless you do the work,
you don't get it."

6,000+ ebooks free at http://www.gutenberg.net