[OS:N:] Another explanation that may appeal to ed

Ed, I don't think the list has been hostile to you in any way.  My guess is
that Open Software is a paradigm shift for you, and your view is on the other
side of the shift from ours.

At one time there was a land where there was central control, and central
planning, and everyone was offered the same goods.  that land eventually
suffered a systemic failure, and had to change their flag from one that was
mostly red to one with bright horizontal stripes.

Folks on this list VALUE diversity, and see the idea that appeals to you, a
standardized centrally controlled centrally planed version of Linux as being
irrelevant as the old .SU Internet domains.

Their is one product, its all Linux.  If it would make you feel any better,
since the list is sponsored by Red Hat, a great American Company cofounded by
a Canadian, consider that the one true Linux for your purposes, and promote
the heck out of it to your local school authorities.  If asked about the
"other ones" (Debian, SuSE, Conectivia..... ) just say that they are
compatible and for the most part interchangeable, just like your Honda can
take Gas and repairs from EXXON, Shell, PetroCanada, Irving, Gulf, or
Canadian Tire

Charles MacDonald - Labour Information Management
< My own Opinion unless Otherwise Credited >