Re: [OS:N:] Re: yes it's gone on long enough

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:21:53AM -0500, Jeremy Hogan wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 08:42, ekunin wrote:
> > I'm trying to get Red Hat 7.0 to work
> > and I cannot mount my CD Rom which means I can't load Star Office 5.2 for
> > which I have the CD Rom.
>
> Ed, give me your shipping address off list, I would be glad to send you
> a copy of 8.0. It's a world of difference from 7.0, and a big step
> toward what you're asking for. It also comes with OpenOffice 1, which is
> the OSS version of StarOffice 6.

Great idea Jeremy!  Also Ed -try posting to the groups which exist to provide
this help. Otherwise don't complain that you can't get stuff working.
Here are the URLS:

> > As for harming this list, I plead innocent. I think it an absurd charge.
> >

> Agreed. Lively debate is always welcome, there are no winners and losers
> in conversation.

Yes lively debate is always welcome (and can be fun), but this topic
needs to be in another list.  It is not part of what this list is about.

But again, numerical analysis shows that Ed has significantly de-railed
this list from its purpose and people have actually left the list just to
avoid him.  He has damaged it.  Looking at the posting pattern here for
the last 30 days we see that between 60 and 70 percent of the traffic is
just in the threads ekunin started or others that he contaminated.
The volume of non-ekunin traffic has dropped to a mere trickle.

Here is a URL to a typical explanation of trolls and what they do to online
communities. http://wilko.webzone.ru/troll.html

Here is another.  I believe Ed may be described under section 6.2:
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/antitrollfaqhtm.htm
OR:
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/antitrollfaqhtm.htm#6.2%20The%20retired%20bitter%20old%20person%20theory.

> > Open source initially implied a different view of human nature. It was
> > cooperative and supportive with the same ideals as the original hackers and
> > the free software society. The Cathedral and the Bazaar described open
> > source as an elitist meritocracy right out of Ayn Rand-at least that was how
> > I read it.
>
> Wait, you took it as self serving objectivism? What the...? I for one
> think that was a whole lot more to do with what went on in the 80's and
> still goes on in many traditional companies. Meritocracy yes, but it can
> only be elitist if the leaders are self appointed. This is not the case.
Absolutely right. Well put.

--
Jeff Kinz, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "jkinz rcn com"
"jkinz ultranet com" copyright 2002.  Use is restricted. Any use is an