RE: [OS:N:] Re: yes it's gone on long enough

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 17:18, Stephan.Schutter wrote:
> except this becomes a problem if you log on as another user. If root mounted
> it... only root can unmopunt it. not too convenient.

Yeah, but a user should never be able to undo something root has done,
unless given permission to do so by root:

Edit /etc/fstab

/dev/cdrom        /mnt/cdrom       iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

Change owner to user.

> But this is much better
> than having to manually do it. It would be convenient if one could access
> the floppy without having to mount it first (like the mtools do -- emulating

It's off by default:

Edit /etc/auto.master. There is a line that looks like -

# /misc /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60

The first entry is where you would like your mountpoints to appear, the
second is the location of the map file (where mountpoints and devices
are defined) and the third are your options. Remove the # if you just
want to use the example.

Edit /etc/auto.misc. For your floppy you will need to have a line in
/etc/auto.misc like

floppy -fstype=auto :/dev/fd0

The first entry defines the mount point (if you use the default entries
here and in auto.master, your mountpoint will be /auto/floppy.) The
second column is for device mounting options like you would see in
/etc/fstab. The third column is the actual device. You can be extra safe
and back-up the default auto.master and .misc files and create new
auto.master that points to auto.floppy.

> the Windows Behavior). Nautilus should, ideally, behave like the mtools...
> mount it for as long as you need it. Additionally, if i puch the cdrom eject
> button, eject the CD [full stop] right now... pause apps if you have to, but
> give me the CD now.

Right click the icon, 'eject' even when you are in the dir, it unmounts
it and spits it out.

> I have had countless frustrations with eject failing
> because som process is using the mount. Finding this process can be dificult
> for most inexpetienced users. In all other OSes you get your CD back... this
> will generate support calls(therefore costs).

I'm really not sure why this doesn't work...

--jeremy