Re: [OS:N:] Re: mainstream

On Friday 13 June 2003 12:31 am, Bobbie Turner wrote;

> I joined this list hoping that i would get an understanding of
> how to INSTALL it and not worry about the details until later,
> but that was just a month.

First, this list does not discuss how-to install Linux.  Second,
you are only asking for trouble if you install something you know
nothing about; especially when you connect it to a network such as
the Internet.

> Where's the help?  I've heard bit's and piece's of help going
> out and around.  Now i ask you one thing? ... where and how
> can i get clear instruction's on how to get and install Linux?

I did a search for "Linux support" or "Linux Help" at Google
(
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%22linux+support%22&num=100&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=linux+help&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off
)

There were 2,960 web pages found.  Have you really been looking for
help?  How did you miss it?  Do you expect everyone to do your
homework for you?  Bad student!  (Everyone give him 5 lashes!)  You
cannot administer Linux and remain ignorant of computing without
major problems.  Many distributions are becoming exceptionally
user-friendly, but one still begs for trouble if he expects to
fully utilize Linux blindly.  Even those people who do not wish to
exploit the full capabilities of Linux should wisely obtain some
basic information about it before using it in a live system.  You
would not be looking at Linux if you didn't want more powerful
software, but that power comes with a price.  It requires at least
a fundamental knowledge.  Linux can be configured like a network
smart terminal as basically Windows exists, but you must want more
than that.  So I must wonder why you have not browsed some of the
more than 2,960 web pages that do discuss Linux support.

> there and stop bickering about where it might or might not be,
> please?

Bickering is a normal part of any healthy democratic community.
When you join a discussion list, you should expect a certain degree
of bickering and debate.  That is the whole point, isn't it?  If
everyone were in complete agreement about all of the issues, then
would there be any need for discussions?

I'll try to help if you are sincerely seeking it.  Linux can be
obtained in various retail stores and on the Internet.  However,
you should respectfully avoid posting such questions to this
mailing list.

--
 Thomas Corriher
 Backup Address:  corriher mailcity com