[Open Beats] Congo Beat Lab + Open Source Development

Greetings,

I'm just back from Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo where Apple Juice Kid and I built the first international Beat Making Lab. Read about the lab and watch a 3-minute story on our work in Congo on Opensource.com: "Open source music-making lab resonates in the Congo"

http://opensource.com/life/12/9/congo-beat-making-lab

In Goma, I observed the power of music to unite the community. Our lab helped invoke a sense of "Pamoja" (Swahili for "oneness/solidarity"). We think Pamoja epitomizes the spirit of our vision for an open source beat making software, which will connect musicians from all corners of the globe. We feel strongly about calling the beat making software Pamoja. What do you think?

We are still building a base of support among coders, hackers, designers, musicians, etc. so please share our story with your constituants, and encourage folks to join the mailing list. We are recruiting champions from the Open Source community to help spread the word about Pamoja. And we are seeking a lead coder/project manager to help get the software off the ground. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

If you happen to be in New York this weekend, swing by the Mashable/United Nations Social Good Summit - where we will be discussing and soliciting support for Pamoja from leaders in the tech/social good world.

Peace,

-Professor Pierce Freelon

--
Professor Pierce Freelon