[Osdc-edu-authors] Welcome to the osdc-edu-authors list.

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 18:45:20 UTC 2010

This mailing list is for people who are, or would like to be, authors for
opensource.com/education.  Let's start with a quick FAQ.

* * *

"What's the goal of opensource.com/education?"

To share compelling stories about the intersection of education and open
source, and to become a valuable resource for everyone who wants to keep up
with the open education space.

* * *

"What's the goal of this mailing list?"

To be the focal point for all administrivia (editorial policy, editorial
calendar, etc.) and to make sure that all authors or potential authors for
osdc/edu have a place to discuss their work.

* * *

"Who should join this mailing list?"

Anyone who writes for, or wants to write for, opensource.com/education.

* * *

"Who's currently writing for opensource.com/education?"

Check out our current author
roster (http://opensource.com/education/author-roster).  Want to join?
Just follow the directions below.

* * *

"How do I become a writer for opensource.com/education?"

First, create an account at opensource.com
(https://opensource.com/user/register).  Be sure to include your full name as
your "Display Name".  Also be sure to include a biography that explains your
interest or expertise in education.  (Note: you don't have to be an expert, but
you do have to be informative and interesting.)

Second, join this list and say "I want to be a writer for
opensource.com/education".  Include your OSDC username.  We will enable
your account for limited contribution (i.e. the ability to upload
articles, but not to publish them.)

Third, write/upload your article.  When your account is enabled, you will see a
link on the bottom right-hand corner of the Education channel titled "Create
Article".  Paste your article in.  You can always save it and come back to it
later, if you want to edit it in place.  When you feel like it's ready, send a
note to the list saying "this article is ready to go".

Fourth, the editorial staff (which, at this point, is basically me, plus help
as needed from Mel Chua) will review the article and slot it for a rough
publication date on the calendar.  Note that anything uploaded is subject to
review by editors.  This may be copyediting and spellchecking, or it may be a
request for a wholesale rewrite.  Generally, I myself will be rigorous
copyeditor, but a lazy content editor.  :)

* * *

"Okay, I'm a writer.  How often do you expect me to write something?"

As frequently, or as infrequently, as you like.  We're still shaping our
editorial voice, but it's likely that contributions will break down into a few
types of time-honored content:

* The columnist / blogger.  Regular contributor of short-ish, insightful,
regular posts with a clear viewpoint.  Perfect fit for "in-the-trenches, this
is what I do with open source in education day-to-day" kind of writing.

* The op-ed.  If you think that open source in education is
counterproductive, that's fantastic.  I expect to see some of these
opinions expressed from time to time, and will occasionally seek out
people for this express purpose.  It's too easy to go all fanboy about
open source, and to ignore its shortcomings.  Strong op-eds by
knowledgeable writers are perfect for exposing issues for the community
to consider.

* The big story.  Sometimes there's a really big story that someone is
itching to tell.  Maybe a state is about to pass an open textbook bill, or
someone is about to install Moodle in a gigantic school district
somewhere.  These kinds of stories don't happen often, but when they do,
they're outstanding.  If you are knowledgeable enough to tell this story,
we want you to tell it.

Over time, we hope to build out our publication calendar
(http://opensource.com/education/authors-schedule) and hold authors to
that calendar.  For now, 3-5 articles a week is our initial goal.

* * *

"Do I get paid for this?"

No.  In very certain circumstances, maybe -- but most likely, no.  :)  You do,
however, get publication credit as a writer for opensource.com -- which might
look very attractive on the ol' CV.

* * *

So.  Introduce yourself.  Better: create your OSDC account, write your
bio, and link to it here.  My bio:

https://opensource.com/users/gdk

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.