[Osdc-edu-authors] FLAT WORLD KNOWLEDGE: OPEN COLLEGE TEXTBOOKS - Disrupting Traditional Textbook Publishing’s Heavy Toll on America’s Future

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 05:34:11 UTC 2010

Thanks, Sanford! (Everyone else: I asked Sanford to send this draft to
the list so we could comment on it.)

My thoughts (not gospel in any way, just thinking out loud):

1) Awesome.
2) Long - and this makes me worry that folks may not read it all the way
through due to the length. What could we do about this, if that's
something we want to fix?

We could...

* write it in installments
* have Sanford publish the original "extended version" somewhere else
(Flat World Knowledge's website, maybe), cook up a shortened version for
OSDC, then link to the first from the second

Either way, it needs to be boiled down to either figure out how and
where to split it, or how to shorten it. Here are the main points I see
the article as making.

1. Graduating from college is a goal that statistically tends to be good
for both the individuals who graduate and society at large. (Link to
citations elsewhere.)

2. Textbook prices are actively blocking a substantial number of people
from attending - and thus graduating from - college. (Link to citations
elsewhere, including student bloggers testifying directly to this.)

3. Data indicates that under our current college education/textbook
model, this situation is actually growing worse over time. (Link to
citations elsewhere.)

4. Students are aware of this problem and have spoken and acted out
against this for years; since they are powerless to change the main
system, they find workarounds like purchasing international textbooks on
the black market. (Link to citations elsewhere.)

5. Flat World Knowledge offers a working view of an alternative textbook
system. Here's how it works. (Link heavily to content already on the
Flat World Knowledge site explaining the business model, quality,
pricing, etc.)

6. Call for participation, and/or open questions. (Not in original draft
- this is a section I would add.)

My $0.02 - what do others think?

--Mel