[Osdc-edu-authors] FLAT WORLD KNOWLEDGE: OPEN COLLEGE TEXTBOOKS - Disrupting Traditional Textbook Publishing’s Heavy Toll on America’s Future

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 05:42:47 UTC 2010

Thanks for this, Mel.  Comments inline.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Mel Chua wrote:

> Thanks, Sanford! (Everyone else: I asked Sanford to send this draft to the
> list so we could comment on it.)
>
> My thoughts (not gospel in any way, just thinking out loud):
>
> 1) Awesome.
> 2) Long - and this makes me worry that folks may not read it all the way
> through due to the length. What could we do about this, if that's something
> we want to fix?
>
> We could...
>
> * write it in installments
> * have Sanford publish the original "extended version" somewhere else (Flat
> World Knowledge's website, maybe), cook up a shortened version for OSDC, then
> link to the first from the second

I think I like this idea, and prefer it to running it in installments.

> Either way, it needs to be boiled down to either figure out how and where to
> split it, or how to shorten it. Here are the main points I see the article as
> making.
>
> 1. Graduating from college is a goal that statistically tends to be good for
> both the individuals who graduate and society at large. (Link to citations
> elsewhere.)
>
> 2. Textbook prices are actively blocking a substantial number of people from
> attending - and thus graduating from - college. (Link to citations elsewhere,
> including student bloggers testifying directly to this.)
>
> 3. Data indicates that under our current college education/textbook model,
> this situation is actually growing worse over time. (Link to citations
> elsewhere.)
>
> 4. Students are aware of this problem and have spoken and acted out against
> this for years; since they are powerless to change the main system, they find
> workarounds like purchasing international textbooks on the black market.
> (Link to citations elsewhere.)
>
> 5. Flat World Knowledge offers a working view of an alternative textbook
> system. Here's how it works. (Link heavily to content already on the Flat
> World Knowledge site explaining the business model, quality, pricing, etc.)

A particular +1 to this.  I want to be careful to separate church and
state here.  Describing the problem and why FWK is well-situated to solve
the problem: good.  Pitching the company with pricing info, etc.: not as
good.

> 6. Call for participation, and/or open questions. (Not in original draft -
> this is a section I would add.)
>
> My $0.02 - what do others think?

Also shorten the title.  :)

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.