[Osdc-edu-authors] Interested in Writing for OSDC-EDU

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 05:53:33 UTC 2010

Chris Tyler (Seneca College), Remy DeCausemaker (RIT), and I sat down in
Chris's office in Toronto tonight and came up with a couple article
ideas. Bouncing off to the metabrain for thoughts and help and all that
good stuff, anyone feel free to grab any idea and run with it (we might
at some point sooner or later, but are happy to be beaten to it by other
folks.)

Ccing Remy because I don't think he's on the list yet (though he should
be within a day or two. *coughRemycough*)

* (Needs Better Title): rationale behind things that frustrate open
source communities, revealed. Basically, what things are going on behind
the scenes at a school when they (for instance) take a really long time
to implement a feature, or can't get a port open so students can go on
IRC, or say "that's a great idea for a class, mayyyybe we could do it 2
years from now," or why did this contributor who was doing an interview
series disappear - things that seem bizarre and frustrating to folks
from open source land? (Maybe the contributor needed to get IRB
clearance to continue to interview community members from your project
and was prohibited from making any further contact until then, maybe the
course planning cycle is 3 semesters in advance and you've just missed
the deadline, etc.) Matt Jadud started peeling back the hood a bit with
his last article, I think we could use more of this.

* Students, Here's What We Look For In An Open Source Hire. Framed for
internships/co-ops/new hires, but really this is no different from how
any open source company would identify good people at any level - the
motivation behind writing this is that the things students /think/ we
are looking for are usually /not/ the things we are looking for.

* The history of CDOT (http://cdot.senecac.on.ca, likely best written by
Chris and his colleague David Humphrey).

* Seneca's open source students: where are they now? (Remy's RIT
Storytellers team could video interview Chris's alumni for this spot.)

* RIT's course --> co-op --> mentor-of-course ecology (article likely
best written by Remy and Steve Jacobs and/or some of the RIT co-op
students).

* CSH (Computer Science House, a special-interest living group at RIT):
how do communities (companies, projects) tap these sorts of active
residential groups of self-organized, talented young hackers? Why don't
they already? (article likely best written by Remy and Luke, both CSH
alumni - I'd also expect a lot of comments to be of the "oh, we have
something like CSH at our school!" variety.)

This last one wasn't from the list tonight, but I was wondering whether
http://blog.melchua.com/2010/02/16/how-to-do-stuff/ could be extended
into an OSDC article - I need to make that slide set, but then I'd like
to workshop it on this list if people are interested.

Done flooding your inboxes for the evening. :) Just finally got through
my email backlog on this list.

--Mel

PS: Is there a better place somewhere to put this list? A wiki page or
something?