[Osdc-edu-authors] Interested in Writing for OSDC-EDU

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 14:47:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 22:32 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
>> Greetings--
>>
>> Looks like you have a good thing going in opensource.com! Following up
>> on Greg's invitation, I'm interested in writing for OSDC-EDU.
>
> Me too!
>
> I recently finished up an 8-part class on Inkscape at a Boston-area
> middle school (http://mairin.wordpress.com/category/inkscape-class/)
>
> We're going back there in a couple of weeks for a photo shoot with the
> kids - although I'm not sure how I can license it given they're 7th
> graders and we don't have parental consent forms. I have a lot of photos
> that I took that don't have students in them though that could be used
> for the article.

We ran into this some with Red Hat High, I believe.  When we weren't sure
that we had consent, we just posted pics with views from the rear.  :)

> I wanted to do an article that talks about how we engaged the school to
> make the class happen, got Inkscape on the school computers, structured
> the class, the day-to-day practicalities of running the class, and note
> what things went well and what things didn't as lessons learned. I also
> wanted to offer up all of the course materials in a single download for
> anyone who wanted to take and remix for their own class.
>
> As a follow-up I was thinking it might be fun to find one or more of the
> teachers who told me they were going to use the materials to see if they
> ended up using them, how it went, how they modified them, etc.

Great stuff.  Obviously I've been following your blog about it, and want
it.  :)

> All the materials are CC-BY so there shouldn't be any issues with
> licenses - but can a zip file be posted to osdc?

Um... maybe?  Lemme find out.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.