[Osdc-edu-authors] Summer 2010 POSSEs article draft

Mel Chua mechua at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 06:29:53 UTC 2010

I promised I'd get a draft out to the list today, so here it is. And by "draft" I mean "I've marked the missing parts, and know this article is far from being ready to post, but think it's ready for feedback on general structure/direction, at the very least." It's mostly a recap with some quotes from blog posts made during the POSSE weeks, and I don't think it's quite found its focus yet.

Feedback? Where would you folks like to see this go?

--Mel

---

* professors are interested in getting their students involved in FOSS because <list of advantages!>
* FOSS and academic culture very different,

"I come from a tradition of the isolated programmer who does it all by himself and has to be independently self-sufficient," explained RIT professor Al Biles. "When I got to RIT in 1980 and was thrown into UNIX for the first time, the resident UNIX guru (a fellow faculty member) answered my first question about how to do something with, “it’s in the UNIX programmers manual; look it up.”  I thought he was kidding;  he wasn’t. This community is the polar opposite.  If you don’t know how to do something, you’re supposed to ask, not try to look it up.  This is a sea change for me.  I’ll have to get over my natural reticence and put myself out there with the realization that not already knowing how to do something is okay but not asking for help is not..."

* This is where POSSE comes in, a one week bootcamp for professors looking to get their students involved as contributors to FOSS projects
* This summer: POSSE WorcesterWorcester was a CS POSSE; RIT was an inter-disciplinary POSSE, with technical writing, journalism, and publishing professors in attendance in addition to engineering/CS faculty.
* Thoughts so far:

<transition into professor quotes and stories>

"...I got much more excited about integrating some teaching about open source in to my classes and getting students involved in open source projects," wrote Kristina Striegnitz from Union College. "But I got particularly excited about Sugar. In fact, I got so excited that I immediately recruited one of my summer students – Kirk Winans – to slightly change his project proposal and work within Sugar."

"For my part, I plan on introducing an elective upper level course to teach what we learned in this workshop.  I also have a plan to either introduce open source development into our Software Engineering course, or introduce a sequel to the existing SE course to incorporate Open source development. I also wish to introduce in a couple of years open source development at a freshman level at least to encourage the geeks who are hacking-hungry," noted Fitchburg State professor Nadimpalli Mahadev.

<summary of results from past POSSEs goes here>

<insert call-to-action here>