[Osdc-edu-authors] New Member Introduction

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Mon Mar 29 15:36:57 UTC 2010

Good morning, everyone.

Thought I'd send a quick note and introduce myself.

I've been around FOSS for quite a while now, but you could say that my
take on the economics of FOSS is from the bottom looking up.  Rather
than a S&P 500 point of view, I'm looking at it from an independent
developer and mom-n-pop shop level.  How do individuals make money?  Can
they compete?  You built it, now what?  Those sorts of things.

I am the owner of Webpath Technologies in Rochester NY, and our biggest
money maker is On-Disk.com.  I'm also an active member of my local SCORE
chapter.

Biz Stats -

    * Bootstrapped my company with $300
    * Took On-Disk.com to $100k yearly gross just 2 years after launch
      while competing against a free download.
    * Counseled more than 200 SCORE clients
    * Received the Gold Member Award in December '09 for Exceptional
      contribution and meritorious service to the SCORE Association

Now before I get carried away and attach my resume, let me stop there.
I welcome questions and thoughts on how I might be able pitch in when
I'm available.

~Karlie