[Osdc-edu-authors] Moodle 2.0 release article

Joseph Thibault joseph.thibault at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:26:57 UTC 2010

Libby/Greg

Here's the text of the article ready to post today,

 Those who've been waiting for the release of Moodle 2.0 are getting their
> [...]
> with several delays is a "beta preview", which is to say, not yet a stable
> release, but it's a functional template of what's in store for early
> adopters.
>
> Development has stretched over the last two years and many core Moodle
> features will be significantly changed.  Let's take a look at why this is a
> major milestone for the popular LMS.
>
> The major headlines are that this release focuses on making Moodle more
> accessible to 3rd party developers and web services.  Though pre-2.0
> releases have been integrated with 100s of modules, plug-ins and other open
> source and proprietary projects, this release marks a major shift in the
> accessibility of information stored within and gathered through the LMS.
>
> It contains a huge number of core changes to the platform, most of which
> are designed to give 3rd party developers more flexibility, scalability and
> safety.¹
>
> In addition to the Repository, Portfolio and File APIs which will allow 3rd
> party developers to tap, manage and manipulate Moodle's site and user data,
> major aesthetic and usability issues are also being addressed,
>
>    - TinyMCE has been selected over the HTMLarea text editor, eliminating
>    some pesky browser compatibility issues
>    - New navigation options have been provided to unclutter Moodle pages
>    - A new theme base is being provided to increase the flexibility of
>    page layouts
>    - Several core activities have been rewritten and updated (including
>    the collaborative, but previously buggy Workshop module)
>
> Moodle 2.0 will also introduce several enhancements, including
>
>    - Conditional, rule based availability of activities
>    - Commenting on Moodle blogs
>    - A major upgrade to the Quiz
>    - A major upgrade to the Wiki
>
> Perhaps the biggest news of this release is that 2.0 will create a new
> community sharing resource for courses materials.  The Community Hub² has a
> two-fold mission:
>
>    1. Create a Moodle-based market place of courses and learning objects
>    available for enrollment (paid or not) world wide
>    2. Provide a means for teachers to post, review, appropriate and remix
>    Moodle course templates from the community at large.
>
> This could be a major game changer in the world of online course management
> systems, no other platform has yet successfully collected and pooled
> resources into one easy to access repository.  Even if the hub falls short
> of expectations, the courses made available to the community at large will
> mark it a success.  However, in a few years Moodle users may be sitting on
> the web's largest repository of open educational resources (all ready to
> install in their own Moodle classroom).
>
> Not all of the features listed here or on Moodle.org's roadmap will make
> the Beta Preview release, but the roadmap and vision show that the community
> has big plans for the future of Moodle LMS.

If there's an image that could post with it and if it could go out today I'm
quite satisfied (unless you have other edits)

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Libby Levi <llevi at redhat.com> wrote:

>  Yup!
>
> can one of you send me the text of the most recent version, so I can see
> what I'm working with?
>
> cheers!
>
>  .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . ..
> .
>
> Libby Levi
>
> Red Hat
> Brand Communications + Design
> llevi at redhat.com
>

> On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>

> We start the week with Matt Jadud's excellent article in his series about
> engaging Allegheny students in the open source world.  (Note that we
> should actually have finished last week with it, but your Faithful Editor
> got distracted by shiny things.)  Faceblogtweet it:
>
> http://opensource.com/education/10/3/allegheny-first-years-dive-fedora
>
> Next up, we've got Joseph Thibault's excellent article about Moodle going
> mobile.  Joseph, I went through a round of edits; please review at your
> convenience.  Libby, any chance we could come up with an awesome graphic
> for this piece?  Some learnin' from a mobile phone goodness?  I'd like to
> push this article live on Wednesday morning.
>
> Remy, I haven't forgotten about your piece.  Any time to chat about it
> tomorrow?
>
> --g
>
> --
> Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
> Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.

Joseph Thibault
Course Manager
www.Straighterline.com