[Osdc-edu-authors] Osdc-edu-authors Digest, Vol 4, Issue 9

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:39:08 UTC 2010

Hello from the other side.  :)

First, a promise for an article next week -- a roundup of the best
HTML/JS activity authoring tools for teachers.  There are a few good
ones, coming from the most interesting places: Tibet and Afghanistan.
Look for a draft by sometime next Monday.

Second, a response to Heather's brilliant post:

> 1) An overview of open source open curricula. Meaning, open source
> communities negotiating and open source curriculum.

Good.

> 2) Issues around certification in open source communities (thorny!
> interesting!)

Better.  :)

> 3+) Interviews with individuals who are leading open source curriculum
> initiatives. I have two connections now, with the PSP Open web and WASP. I'd
> love other examples if anyone has any.

Best!

> Background: This is an area I am investigating as I ease into my role as
> Manager of Learning Services at Acquia. This is a company in the midst of an
> open source community. We want to push education in the community forward.
> We're not hiring any trainers but we're working with those in the community
> who deliver training.
> http://groups.drupal.org/curriculum-and-training

Even just an article talking about this would be brilliant.  In fact,
this may be the best start of all: sort of setting up your byline.

> What do you all think about that? Have any other examples of communities
> attempting open source open curricula?

There's the open source software development textbook that I, Karsten
and others have collaborated on:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php?title=Textbook_Redirect

And, of course, lots more examples every day.  I'm starting to believe
that the real challenge, in this space, is just figuring out where all
the open curriculum stuff *is*.  Which is, incidentally, one of the
primary foci of my new gig.  ;)

--g