[Osdc-edu-authors] opensource.com/education planet

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Tue Sep 28 17:48:10 UTC 2010

Hi Mel,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:28, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> and we'd put a disclaimer at the top that this wasn't official
> opensource.com content, but more a "watching our (awesome) authors think out
> loud" thing.

> Thoughts? I find this valuable for myself, at least, to hear what other

> Would others find this useful?

I think the idea is good (add1 idea), but it's worth noting that most
everything I write on my blog is carefully considered. I have to
assume my colleagues are reading what I write, and that what I say
online may have impact in my workplace. That's just a "Matt
participating in the conversation as a (paranoid?) member of the
faculty" kind of comment, though.

So, I'd be happy to participate... I wonder if I would find more value
(in terms of my personal participation) in aggregating two sources: a
tag on my blog and a tag in my Delicious Bookmarks. That way, I could
treat a particular tag in my bookmarks as a "microblog". I get 1000
characters in the notes field, which is more than enough space to say
something moderately insightful while linking to a resource.

Would that fit in this model? I ask simply because I don't do a lot of
"full contact" blogging lately... it takes a lot of time (at least the
way I tend to do it), so most of my expression is in the form of
infrequent, more thought-out pieces. (At least, that's what it feels
like these last few months.)

Cheers,
Matt