[Osdc-edu-authors] DRAFT: open source stenography

mel at melchua.com mel at melchua.com
Tue Dec 20 02:05:39 UTC 2011

Just got some edits back from Mirabai and incorporated them - please
critique and edit this draft instead. Thanks, folks!

-------

"Imagine if programming required a special computer that couldn't
connect to the internet or run games or do anything else except write
computer software, and that it sold for $1,500. What do you think the
state of software development would look like?"

I'm talking with Mirabai Knight, founder of <a
href="http://stenoknight.com">StenoKnight CART Services</a>, one of a
small handful of providers of live captioning. I'm personally interested
in this for a few reasons: first, I grew up with a severe hearing loss.
However, like 98% of the 35 million deaf and hard of hearing people in
the USA, I consider ASL (American Sign Language) a gorgeous language
that I can't fluently understand. CART (Communication Access Realtime
Transcription) offers an alternative option for folks like me; a
stenographer sits either remotely or in the classroom, meeting, theatre,
or wherever you are, and realtime captions stream to a projector screen,
your laptop, your cellphone... it's like having closed-captioning for
your life.

Second, I'm an open source geek, and Mirabai is describing the sort of
locked-down proprietary domain that makes my blood boil. The equipment
and software and training is so expensive that basically only people who
intend to do it as a profession have any access to it; they buy $1,000
student hardware and $500 student software (professional software is
$4,000) and then pay $300 or more per month to get dictated at by
"readers" at for-profit schools geared towards the narrow domain of
court transcriptions.

But it wasn't until Mirabai mentioned that she could get me to type 240
WPM on $45 of equipment that I really perked up. I'm a pretty fast
typist, averaging 120-160 wpm on qwerty, but hand and shoulder troubles
prevent me from going at it for more than an hour at a time, and even my
flying fingers can't keep up with my racing thoughts. In contrast,
Mirabai explained, steno is every bit as efficient as human speech and
kinder on the hands, so it sounds like it should be the perfect thing
for geeks. However, it's been forced into undeserved obscurity by its
high entry cost and inaccessible design.

So last year, armed with a little free time, a few geek friends, and a
Python programmer named Josh Lifton, she set out to change exactly that.
The result is Plover, an open source stenography suite that works with
off-the-shelf computer keyboards (not $1,000 hardware); the software is,
of course, free. The Linux version is now complete, and a developer
named Hesky Fisher has created a semi-functional Windows that remains a
work in progress; you can <a
href="http://stenoknight.com/plover/ploverdemo/ploverdemo.html">watch a
video demo</a>, listened to <a
href="http://plover.stenoknight.com/2011/10/captioned-pygotham-presentation-is-up.html">one
of Mirabai's (captioned) talks on Plover</a>, and check out the project
and its active mailing list at <a
href="http://ploversteno.org">http://ploversteno.org</a>.

Plover isn't just a straight-out copy-paste of existing proprietary
CART software; it also has several feature advantages over them. Most
steno software has a time-based buffer, forcing the user to conform to
the software's timing; Plover is designed the other way around, so the
software responds to a human, and typists can take their time to think
and control the pacing of their words. Plover is also the first steno
software of any kind that follows the Unix design principle of
modularity, acting essentially as a keyboard emulator - no different
from any other alternative input option such as <a
href="http://live.gnome.org/Caribou">on-screen keyboards for tablets</a>
or <a href="http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher">input methods for
the disabled</a>. In contrast, proprietary steno programs contain
full-fledged word processors typists are then forced to use. "They have
file managers, separate display and print settings for all text, and a
whole host of other things that reinvent the wheel," Mirabai explained.
And often that complexity is not needed. "My $4,000 steno machine
malfunctioned at my afternoon class today. But as as backup I also carry
the qwerty keyboard I bought to use with Plover. My court reporting
software comes with a four-inch-thick manual that starts with "how to
move the mouse"; goes through to automatic indexing, form filling, audio
synchronization, and file management; and finishes with regular
expressions. The software I used today to provide CART with Plover?
[Open-source text editor] Gedit, with the font size increased to 28. The
end."

Of course, stenography is difficult to learn, and the "just keep trying
to type and you'll eventually get it" of professional steno schools
seems... pedagogically suboptimal; hearing jury charges for three hours
is enough to put anyone into a stupor. They're also expensive and have
high dropout rates. "I don't want to be cynical," Mirabai told me, "but
many of these for-profit schools make a tidy packet selling the $1,000
machine to all the incoming students, then buying it back for $300 when
they drop out, and selling it again to another newbie."

That's why Mirabai is recruiting volunteer developers for <a
href="http://plover.stenoknight.com/2011/04/hover-plover.html">Hover
Plover</a>, a series of arcade-style minigames for learning steno. She's
thinking of a simple 2D platformer for one-stroke practice, a top-down
space shooter for multi-stroke words, dictionary definition practice
("This might appeal to RPG lovers," Mirabai notes -- "building your own
word hoard out of the spare parts floating around in your head"), and
something like Guitar Hero for rhythm practice. "Most people in steno
school get up to 100 WPM within the first six months or so. Then it
takes them between two and six years to get the other 125 WPM, although
I went from 0 to 255 WPM in a year and a half. But if someone's just
using steno for RSI reasons or to increase the fluency of their writing
or coding, 100 WPM is plenty fast for daily use; they can proceed and
build speed naturally as they continue to use the software." Other
developers have started making training tools as well; Pragma Nolint
recently released <a
href="http://plover.stenoknight.com/2011/12/fly-plover-fly.html">Fly</a>,
a program that allows Plover users to do drill practice with their
dictionaries.

I asked Mirabai what motivated her work on Plover. Her answer was so
enthusiastic and eloquent that I've simply quoted it below in its
entirety.

"Well, there are 547 ASL (American Sign Language) interpreters in New
York State. (Ed. note: Mirabai did <a
href"http://stenoknight.com/WannShow.html">an interview on the Keith
Wann show</a> on how CART and ASL are complementary rather than
competitive.) As far as I can tell, there are fewer than 20 CART
providers. Steno schools are shutting down. People are starting to
consider it obsolete technology, because they're all holding out for
natural language speech recognition, which has been "right around the
corner" for the last 20 years. That's because they figure if people have
been talking to computers on Star Trek since the '60s, it must already
be a solved problem! The problem is that speech recognition, since it
relies on matching waveforms probabilistically rather than semantically,
is pretty much unable to cope with poor quality audio, nonstandard
accents, homonyms, neologisms, mumbling, and a host of other common
complications that crop up when transcribing speech in realtime!"

"I know how useful steno is, not just for transcribing realtime speech,
but for composing text at the speed of thought. And with fewer
keystrokes than letter-for-letter typing systems, which makes steno more
efficient, more portable, more ergonomic, more accurate, and faster than
anything else out there. It's useful to FOSS geeks, the steno community,
accessibility geeks, video gamers, and speed freaks; my <a
href="http://stenoknight.com/plover/#whysten">"What is Steno Good
For"</a> series goes into each of those in turn."

"Even if steno were only used to provide captioning for people with
hearing loss (and central auditory processing disorder, autism, ADHD,
kids learning how to read, speakers of language other than English who
find it easier to comprehend by eye than by ear... The list goes on), we
need many, many, many more people to do it. I also think that people
with speech disabilities could be a potential power user base. It's the
only input system that can let people speak at typical rates of speech
just using their fingers. We've reached out to Roger Ebert, but he felt
it was too much of an old dog new tricks situation. If you know of any
people with speech disabilities who'd be willing to try it out, please
let me know."

Mary Gardiner recently mentioned Plover in her <a
href="http://plover.stenoknight.com/2011/11/captioned-mary-gardiners-keynote-at.html">PyConAu
keynote</a>, pointing out some of the things the fledgling project
needs help with: testers to try out of the software, developers to work
on feature implementation, cross-platform porting, and game development;
visual and sound artists and game designers for Hover Plover... and help
with making Plover a sustainable project, which may mean donations of
time, equipment, money, or business model expertise. "I'm about tapped
out of my own money," Mirabai explained. "I've put about $3,000 into it
so far, and I don't think I have enough spare cash to bankroll the
development of a whole game." We've since started looking for game
development students who might be able to take on parts of Hover Plover
as a class or capstone project.

"You're a great evangelist for this," I told her at the end of our
interview.

"I'm just obsessed, is all," Mirabai responded. "I dream about it.
Thanks so much for giving me a voice. Sometimes I tell people "I can
type 240 words a minute" and they're like "Yeah, and? Who cares?" but
sometimes people are like "Dude! That's so awesome! I wanna do that!"
and that's when I think this thing actually has a chance."

For more on Mirabai and Plover, read <a
href="http://geekfeminism.org/2010/10/12/plover-freeing-stenography">her
2010 interview with Leigh Honeywell</a> and check out the project
website at http://ploversteno.org