[Osdc-edu-authors] [Fwd: Re: DRAFT: open source stenography]

mel at melchua.com mel at melchua.com
Wed Dec 21 23:41:18 UTC 2011

Thanks to Ruth Suehle for uploading the article to Drupal. Mirabai and
I have made some more minor edits but other than the notes below, I
think it's good to go (feel free to ship it without contacting me from
here on out).

Stuff remaining:

1. Article title and web link - I'm trying a catchier one ("Typing at
255 WPM shouldn't cost $4000: Plover, the open source steno system") but
suggestions welcome. Also, the article link still uses the old title;
not sure how to get that to switch out for the final one.

2. Article image. The project blog and website,
http://plover.stenoknight.com/ and
http://stenoknight.com/wiki/Main_Page, have some cute things - the image
on the top-left of the latter page is the project's icon.
http://stenoknight.com/plover/qwertyplovchartwords.png is also a pretty
nifty image - if we rework it, I can ask Mirabai to explicitly grant it
a CC-BY-SA license, or maybe to make another version with custom words
(though I think

3. (optional) in-text pictures/video - it's a long block of text, so
breaking it up with media may be nice to do. All the good Plover videos
are on YouTube, though, and I'm not sure what the osdc preference for
this sort of stuff is. Nevertheless, videos I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQQzW99cAI - a split-screen
demonstration of plover, showing Mirabai's hands typing on a keyboard,
the text output on a monitor, and the steno keys corresponding to what's
being pressed. Fits anywhere in the article, but may go nicely
immediately before "Plover isn't just a straight-out copy-paste of
existing..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I333oAGSOwk - qwerty vs steno matchup
demonstration, transcribing a voice that progressively speeds up until
qwerty simply can't keep up any more. Fits anywhere in the article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3MYFT6VZk8 - a demonstration of Plover
being used for realtime speech output, possibly right after the
paragraph ending in "We've reached out to Roger Ebert, but he felt it
was too much of an old dog new tricks situation. If you know of any
people with speech disabilities who'd be willing to try it out, please
let me know.""

I've put the current article text below for those who don't have access
to unpublished pieces on the Drupal backend, but folks with access can
see it the unpublished draft at
http://opensource.com/life/11/12/open-source-changes-face-stenography-and-possibilities-hearing-impaired.

--Mel