[Osdc-edu-authors] Open Research Computation

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jan 10 22:24:06 UTC 2011

An idea I'm not running with right now, so any of you are welcome to:

http://www.openresearchcomputation.com/

... which I came across thanks to Matt Jadud's usage of this as a case
in point in another discussion:

http://ivory.idyll.org/blog/dec-10/whats-in-it-for-me.html

From the main page of ORC "Aims & scope":

  Open Research Computation publishes peer reviewed articles that
  describe the development, capacities, and uses of software designed
  for use by researchers in any field. Submissions relating to
  software for use in any area of research are welcome as are articles
  dealing with algorithms, useful code snippets, as well as large
  applications or web services, and libraries. Open Research
  Computation differs from other journals with a software focus in its
  requirement for the software source code to be made available under
  an Open Source Initiative compliant license, and in its assessment
  of the quality of documentation and testing of the software. In
  addition to articles describing software Open Research Computation
  also welcomes submissions that review or describe developments
  relating to software based tools for research. These include, but
  are not limited to, reviews or proposals for standards, discussion
  of best practice in research software development, educational and
  support resources and tools for researchers that develop or use
  software based tools.

Perhaps an interview with the Editor, Cameron Neylon?  I'd be
interested in their thoughts on the journal itself being free and open
content (i.e., under a CC BY SA license).