[Osdc-edu-authors] e-text licensing

Sanford Forte siforte at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 17 22:00:14 UTC 2011

This is an interesting discussion. Practical and ideological differences can be claimed, and defended, within the spectrum of argument presented by both sides.

Having been on both sides of these arguments within different (commercial, foundation-funded, non-profit, etc.) environments leads me to conclude that a fundamental diseconomy has evolved. It's an ideological diseconomy, relative to the main goal of Open, as it applies to education and educational content.

For nearly a decade, non-profit academic and academic-related institutions have been funded and charged with the task of creating Open courseware and Open textbooks. The reason for this is that the for-profit publishing sector has largely failed to innovate, and taken advantage of an oligopolistic market and pricing model in ways that have caused real pain for students. In a market economy, the latter behavior is largely the norm, so I'm not going to characterize the commercial publishers as bad players, in terms of intention (other than to say that market forces work both ways, with commercial publishers beginning to realize that in ways that they could hardly have imagined even 5 years ago).

Thus, for-profit courseware and textbook publishers have been doing what markets and their customers have encouraged them to do - raise prices, because in spite of all the work-arounds by students to get their content cheaper, curtailing the high cost of textbooks remains an uphill battle. The result has been too-high priced educational materials that decreases access to education, and cripples human futures - a tragedy. There is now a mountain of evidence about the problems caused by too-expensive textbooks; no need to repeat that here.

That said, it's not in doubt that commercial publishing companies have the infrastructure and market savvy to create very high quality content with rich media inputs that are interoperable on multiple devices and delivery platforms. It takes a massive infrastructure, capital, and *specialized intellectual capital* to make this happen. That's what commercial publishers bring to the table.

On the other hand, the most prolific source of content has traditionally been academia. Academics have traditionally been the creator of textbook content. Commercial publishers filter, professionally develop, distribute, keep current, and make technologically interoperable instructional content "market ready" (sometimes even deploying the platforms that content is distributed from (e.g. Pearson's eCollege). Over the last 10-15 years, a small evolution toward private contractors - away from the university - has been deployed to create content. I expect this trend to continue, but the primary source for content creation will lie within the halls of academia, for quite some time to come.

What has evolved over the last decade, as a result of the almost exclusive funding of academic institutions re: the development of Open content, has been a growing sense from the academic side of the equation "that we (academia) can be publishers, too".  This has created a huge diseconomy. Out of this funding rather rigid ideological preferences that argue for and against certain flavors of Open license have evolved, tending to delay the optimal market *result* that we're all looking for - i.e. *affordable, universally accessible, interoperable, easily updatable academic textbooks (for college, and K-12).

What we have evolved is a discussion about quality of Open license that there is virtually no end to. Reams have been written about this conundrum.

What's tragic is that there are extremely high quality, commercially available "NC" licensed materials that are available to students for free, online, 24/7. These commercial materials are professionally developed and supported, with very cool editing tools that are a cinch to use. Can we say the same for most Open textbooks that have been created and published by institutions that rigidly adhere to "CC-BY-SA" status? I don't think we can. In fairness, the latter groups are evolving, but the sustainability issues are huge, not to mention the skill sets necessary to make textbooks and courseware that truly engages and stimulates the user's imagination; that is fully interoperable and supported in a variety of ways - similar to the support array offered by commercial publishers, and that lives within a sustainable fiscal model.

I've spent a good part of the last 10 years of my life dealing with these issues. I am passionately dedicated to reducing the cost of college (and K-12) textbooks, and making education far more affordable and real-time relevant than it currently is. I've thought long and hard about these issues - alone, in dialogue, and within organizations devoted to these problems - looking for ways solve the current confusion and ideological impasse that has evolved between the commercial publishers of high-quality content, and the academic and academic related institutions that deploy this content.

My current stance is that we have to come to agreement that this effort is more about *affordability* than it is about Open. We must remain agnostic re: the deployment and permission differences dictated by one Open license, or another. Again, the aim is *affordability* (acknowledging that there are *always* unrealized costs - often massive costs - associated with "free")

I think we need to create and evolve new models of cooperation between the two camps - i/e/ commercial publishers and academic institutions. We need new private/public enterprise models that deploy in ways that create wins for everyone. This is not to say that these changes will be pain-free, because they won't (subject of another post, perhaps). How can we accomplish this?

First, we need - at the federal, state, and local (District) policy level - to bring the full weight and leverage of academic institutional buying power to bear on commercial textbook pricing outcomes. In short, working together, we can compel commercial publishers to lower prices in the very same way that for-profit, proprietary institutions compel deep discounts with those same commercial publishers. Why aren't we doing this, for starters? I will not get into pricing details in this post, but suffice it to say that there is a lot of room for negotiation here. There are many other things that we can do, as well, if we want to accomplish the twin goals of affordability and the other, necessary qualities inherent in a *sustainable* affordable educational materials model.

What will all this mean to commercial publishers? They are going to have to restructure parts of their operations, period. That's the bottom line. It's normal that they're resisting the inevitable, but there's no stopping the juggernaut of coming new solutions and new content providers who will deploy all sorts of innovations - licensing and otherwise, to realize the black gold value that education represents for all world citizens in the 21st century. It's clear that new commercial models (deploying "NC" licenses) are here to stay; they will continue to evolve. There will also be a growing phalanx of new publishers coming forward. So, it's all good news for the end-user, the student, and professional educators - even the publishers who will learn new ways to deliver on the real promise of technology - i.e. "more, for less".

There's probably a book that could be written about this, as the issues are complex, but if we keep the bottom line of affordability as a first goal, then a lot of the other problems disappear. I've thought about that, but time spent in making these goals happen always interferes. Once we come back to the place where we see affordability as the primary issue, we can devise policy and negotiation approaches to procuring content that have real leverage with those entities that create the most sustainable, current, interoperable, and easy-to-customize content - i.e. commercial publishers.

Ideological arguments around the various flavors of Open have been, in my opinion, a deterrent to accomplishing the primary goal of affordability (and thus, access). We can put to rest most of those ideological constraints by coming back to the large question that began this effort, in the first place - i.e. how do we create and deploy high-quality, interoperable, universally accessible, easily updatable, academic instructional content that is affordable (including free, as one option), and do all that within a fiscally sustainable model. This is possible, right now. It's no longer about licenses; it's about political and private institutional will. One way or another, all of the foregoing is going to happen - the question remains how long we're going to have to wait,, and how long we will continue to miss the key goals that we've been aiming for (stated above), all along, because we let ideological differences that in the end don't mater very much, get in the way.

-Sanford