[Osdc-edu-authors] SIGCSE coverage: help develop the plan of (journalistic) attack

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 21:54:31 UTC 2011

(Copying the Teaching Open Source list on this as a first heads-up, but
I'd like to have the discussion on
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/osdc-edu-authors if possible so
we don't swamp everyone on TOS with journalism-coordination-details.)

SIGCSE is coming up! And we're going to hit it big - lots of TOS
(http://teachingopensource.org) activities there - and so I'd like to
get a flood - nay, a tsunami, a malestroom - of content coming out of it
- stories that tell people who we are, what we do, and why we care so
much about it.

Now, I know people will be blogging on their personal blogs, writing to
the TOS list, and so forth - but I'd like to funnel all these sources
towards http://opensource.com/education as The Place where We Do SIGCSE
Coverage of TOS. Why opensource.com? We've got tons of editorial and
artwork (and even video-editing, if we come back with footage!) help
there, plus everything that's posted on opensource.com is creative
commons. It's therefore both (1) snazzy-looking and (2) re-purpose-able
for anything else we'd like - campus newspapers, supplements to press
releases for local journalists when everyone goes back home, sending
back to the presenters and SIGCSE folk (journalism is a reeeeeally good
networking excuse), and so forth.

Matt Jadud, Mihaela Sabin, and Grant Hearn are going to be doing a bunch
of coverage of the event as part of their Teaching Open Source travel
grant to the event (thanks folks!), and we've got a number of prior
opensource.com authors (myself, Steve Jacobs, Sebastian Dziallas, Heidi
Ellis, and likely others I may be missing here) from the TOS community -
if you're not already an author but would like to help cover something
at SIGCSE, let Mary Bitter (mbitter at redhat dot com) know so she can
help you get set up beforehand. Each article should only take 1-2 hours
of work tops (unless you really want to spend more time, which is cool);
if you read the stuff already up there, it's by and large short and
sweet. Not formal like an academic paper - much more fun to write. :)

I'd like to aim for a minimum of 6 SIGCSE-related articles, including
pre-and-post conference posts. (Actually, I'd like to double that if
possible - 6 is a bare minimum we should really be able to blow out of
the water.) Some ideas are below. Thoughts? Matt, Mihaela, and Grant, do
you have any preferences or other ideas of what you'd like to write?

* Pre-conference post: lay of the land - what's SIGCSE, what's it like,
and what are cool events (not just TOS ones) that people might be
interested in? For instance, Max just pointed out IBM's "Can Students
Really Develop Software Collaboratively?" session at
http://www.sigcse.org/sigcse2011/attendees/supporter_sessions.php. (I
could take this one, but think it could be better-written by someone
who's been to SIGCSE before - Matt, Mihaela, interested?)

* One article per keynote. (Any takers?)
** Matthias Felleisen - "TeachScheme!" (Matt, this might be up your
alley, it's on programming languages.)
** Susan Landau - "A Computer Scientist Goes to Washington: How to be
Effective in a World Where Facts are 10% of the Equation" (I'll do this
one unless someone else really wants it.)
** Luis Von Ahn, "Three Human Computation Projects"

* Session coverage - which sessions would you like to see liveblogged?
(Grant, maybe there are some mobile dev things you'd like to cover
here?) Schedule at
http://db.grinnell.edu/sigcse/sigcse2011/Program/Program.asp. A few
potentials:
** Mihaela Sabin: "A Neglected Pipeline? How Faculty Teach, Advise, and
Mentor Transfer Students" birds of a feather
** Matt Jadud, Heidi Ellis, Greg Hislop, and Mel Chua: "Learning through
Open Source Participation" panel
** Sebastian Dziallas, Heidi Ellis, and Mel Chua: "Teaching Open Source"
birds of a feather
** Victor Larios, Kelvin Sung: "Open Source and Freeware Tools for 3D
Game Development Courses" workshop (Steve Jacobs, sounds potentially up
your alley.)
** Michael Rivera: "Designing Open Source Labs for Distance Education"
birds of a feather

Are you presenting, and would like your session covered? Maybe you can
swap with another presenter and each write articles about each others'
sessions. Holler in this thread.

* Faculty interviews: professors doing cool things with their classes +
open source tell their stories. One article per prof (or group of
collaborating profs.) I'd love to capture as many of these as possible
(also also, excuses for networking!) - in terms of format, see
http://opensource.com/business/10/3/five-questions-about-building-community-chris-blizzard-mozilla
for inspiration. I have a sound recorder available for borrowing for
folks who want to do their interviews in audio and then transcribe. Who
should we talk with? (See
http://db.grinnell.edu/sigcse/sigcse2011/Program/programByAuthorsLeaders.asp
for a list of presenters.) We can post some of these during the
conference itself, and save a bunch for posting afterwards as follow-up
in the next few months. (Matt, I think you were particularly keen on
this - want to head up the interview brigade?)

* Also consider the HFOSS symposium and keynotes
http://www.hfoss.org/hfoss2011/ (Trishan, Cat, folks from OSU, Stormy,
Ralph - do you want some coverage here? What would you like to write?
Mihaela, I know you were presenting something at HFOSS... would you like
to take charge of HFOSS coverage?)

* other ideas?

* Post-conference round-up: a week or so after SIGCSE ends, a metapost
linking to and summarizing all the current SIGCSE posts to date, and any
cool next-projects coming from it. (This is an easy one for a remotee -
if you wished you were coming to SIGCSE but can't make it this year,
this would be a way to integrate yourself into the conference happenings
from afar.)

--Mel