[Osdc-edu-authors] Changing list settings so people don't need approval to subscribe

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 02:14:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 09:42:33AM -0500, Mary Bitter wrote:
> Hi Mel,
>
> All subscribers have been approved -- there were only two as of this
> morning. Let me know if you know of others.
>
> Unfortunately we do get a decent bit of SPAM. I'd recommend keeping the
> list as is because I'm sure we all already get too many emails as is.

Have we been getting spam through to other, not-requiring-approval
lists that are more widely advertized? I.e., osdc-list.

I think Mailman's processes are good for this. There is one setting,
for example, where anyone can subscribe to read but their _first_post_
is held for moderation. After that, they are no longer held for
moderation.

Of course, the view of the list administrator is different. All lists
get lots of spam in the moderator queue because the address is out
there. But that is not spam that gets through to the list.

My recollection of the reason this list was requires-approval is that
Greg was trying to introduce the idea of an open mailing list to the
opensource.com crew & education authors who may not have been on one
before. The idea was, as I recall, to be able to state, "Yes, it's
open archives, but don't worry, Philistines won't be able to jump on
the list and start arguing with your valuable time."

A year later and experience with the related osdc-list makes me wonder
if we're ready to graduate with this list, too?

- Karsten