[Osdc-edu-authors] ARTICLE READY: Points of difference: a comparison table between the education and open source worlds

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Mar 28 21:50:43 UTC 2011

Picking up on
https://www.redhat.com/archives/osdc-edu-authors/2011-March/msg00049.html and
finishing it. I am a content machine today! Again, please don't block on
me for editing, title changes, and/or image-picking (though I imagine
that a colored diff screenshot similar to
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dreyfus_model_of_skill_acquisition&action=historysubmit&diff=417946966&oldid=367851662
might work well). A little bit of styling for the table (adding a border
and possibly some color-coding) may be helpful as well.

I think I'm done writing for the day, but you never know. :)

--Mel

----

Points of difference: a comparison table between the education and open
source worlds

----

I've been traveling between universities and academic conferences and
open source gatherings and hackfests for work for quite some time now. A
year ago, I started compiling a list of <a
href="http://darkmattermatters.com/2009/06/08/brand-positioning-tip-1-points-of-parity-and-points-of-difference/">points
of parity and points of difference</a> between the two cultures. Here's
what I've got so far for <em>points of difference</a>:

adhere strictly to it.</td> <td>There may not be a plan, and if there
is, it'll probably be deviated from. Step up and step in.</td>

for next time.</td> <td>Hop in anyay - you'll change the plan to
accommodate you by slipping in.</td>

even if that means you don't tell people what you're doing.</td> <td>It
takes one yes to win it all. Keep asking until you get a yes - it
doesn't matter how many no's you get along the way.</td>

be used by as many people as possible.</td> <td>Improvisational
apprenticeships. Every learning experience is a custom made one-off.</td>

following the same plan?</td> <td>Be productively lost - uncertainty
spurs innovation by allowing individuals to take advantage of rapidly
shifting opportunities.</td>

efficient, stable, tested stages to a known destination.</td> <td>A
grappling hook you can throw around to scale most vertical surfaces in
whatever environment you're thrown into.</td>

credentials as a pass-card to access many things without needing further
review.</td> <td>Continually defend your skills to everyone you come
across through showing off your actual work; the approval of one body
may not count for another.</td>

This list has helped me unblock multiple conversations between people in
academia (students, faculty) and those in open source environments by
helping each group articulate its fundamental assumptions to the other.
I know full well this list is incomplete and likely to contain
inaccuracies, and would love feedback on it - what do you think of the
table? What else would you add? If you're not in education, how would
your discipline (law, business, medicine, filmmaking, food production,
etc) look like as a third column?