[Osdc-edu-authors] How to deal with article comment spam?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Mar 26 01:37:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 07:20:41PM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that one of my articles has comment spam (some fairly clever
> spam, at that) - has anyone else run into this, and how does one get it
> cleared out?
>
> Article in question is
> http://opensource.com/education/10/5/scholarships-open-source-contributors
> - I haven't seen this anywhere else, but haven't done an exhaustive
> search by any means.

I've seen it a bit. Usually you want to watch the comments on your
articles, but you know, I don't know how that's done. I do know that
once having commented, you can choose to watch the thread. That's how
I see most inbound spam comments.

You should have a button to report it as spam, and some of the magic
admins will pick that up, tag the user account, and delete the spam.

I happen to have gotten one of the magic powers a while ago, that of
deleting comments that are spam. So, permissions depending (links
appearing), I get the button to report it as spam (which I do first),
then I use the delete comment link.

Any use should have the report button. I use that first so as to tag
the user in the big magic admin's queue.

I suspect this is some sort of linkfarming, where people seek blogs
that aren't paying attention to post links to their sites for search
engine optimization (SEO).

- Karsten